The most wonderful time of the year is right around the corner and there’s no better place to celebrate a magical holiday season and a cozy white Christmas than Montana’s Big Sky Country! Nestled high in the Madison Mountains between Bozeman and Yellowstone National Park, the small mountain town of Big Sky turns on all the charm in the holiday season with world-class skiing and snowboarding, bucket-list alpine activities off-the-slopes, and the magic of vibey après ski and beloved small-town holiday traditions.
The chances are you can tick off every item on your alpine bucket list in Big Sky, Montana! Best known for the “Biggest Skiing in America”, Big Sky is a winter wonderland with alpine activities for every age and adventure level both on and off the slopes – and endless ways to celebrate the holiday season.
ALPINE ACTIVITIES & EXPERIENCES
Fill your holidays with once-in-a-lifetime experiences you’ll never forget in beautiful Big Sky, MT. When you’re not exploring the biggest skiing in America at Big Sky Resort, you’ll find a plethora of unique adventures to add to your holiday itinerary, many unique to Montana’s beautiful Big Sky Country.
- Nordic Skiing at Big Sky Resort & Lone Mountain Ranch
- Headlamp Night Skiing on Andesite Mountain
- Sno-Go Bike Rentals & Lessons
- Ride the Ramcharger 8 chairlift to the Enchanted Forest
- Adventure Zipline & Nature Zipline Tours
- Winter Horseback Riding with a Wrangler
- Back-country Dog-Sledding Excursions
- Winter Tours of Yellowstone National Park
- Winter Fly Fishing on the famous Gallatin River
- Guided Snowshoe Tours
- Snowmobile Rentals & Tours
- Sleigh Ride Dinner at Lone Mountain Ranch
- Montana Yurt Dinner on Lone Mountain
- Luxury Slopeside Day Spas
- Soak in natural hot springs
BIG SKY HOLIDAY SEASON CALENDAR
Whether you’re seeking intimate aprés ski drinks and dinner for romance, a social soiree for the whole family, or a night of live music, DJs, and dancing, Big Sky delivers! Big Sky boasts everything from mountain lodges and slopeside ski bars to breweries, whiskey bars, and local breweries in Big Sky Town Center with live music and festivities for the whole family during the holiday season.
- Monday to Friday: Live Music at Montana Jack in the Exchange at Big Sky Resort – 4 PM to 6 PM
- Monday & Wednesday: Live Music in Vista Hall in the Exchange – 4 PM to 6 PM
- Monday, Wednesday & Friday: Movie Night in the Huntley Lodge Amphitheater – 7 PM
- Tuesday & Sunday: Live Music in the Carabiner Lounge at the Summit Hotel – 4 PM to 6 PM
- Tuesday & Friday: Kids Crafts in the Huntley Lodge – 4 PM to 6 PM
- Wednesday & Saturday: Avalanche Dog Meet & Greet at the Huntley Mountain Side Patio – 4:30 PM
- Thursday & Friday: Live DJs at Westward Social in the Exchange – 4 PM to 6 PM
- Thursday & Sunday: S’mores in Mountain Village Plaza – 4 PM to 6 PM
The Annual Big Sky Christmas Stroll is a long-standing Big Sky tradition and one of the most popular events of the holiday season. The festivities kick off on Friday evening in Meadow Village Center with Santa and carolers, luminary winter trails for fat biking and cross-country skiing, and family sleigh rides through the meadows.
The traditional Christmas Stroll moves to Big Sky Town Center on Saturday with holiday sales for Christmas shopping, the annual tree lighting ceremony, live music, ice skating, delicious festive foods, and an abundance of joy and good cheer! The Big Sky Christmas Stroll also marks the official start of the ski season, the aprés ski vibe around town is awesome!
At 7 PM make your way to historic Huntley Lodge in the heart of for family photos and Christmas stories with Santa Claus. Gather around the stunning stone fireplace in the cozy Sunken Lobby as Santa shares the enchanting holiday classic “T’was the Night Before Christmas”. The Huntley Lodge restaurants and bars are open for dinner and aprés ski so make a night of it! Reservations are essential.
After photos and stories with Santa, hundreds gather around the base of the Ramcharger 8 and Swift Current lifts in Mountain Village for the Christmas Eve Torchlight Parade on Andesite Mountain. The mountain is illuminated with torch-bearing skiers snaking down the slopes, with a special appearance by Santa and his elves, and fantastic fireworks to end the show. The Ski Torchlight Parade is a rich Big Sky tradition and a delight for all ages – a must-do Christmas event in Big Sky!
Waking up to a snowy White Christmas is simply magical! Whether you choose to indulge in festive family feasts curled up around the fire in your vacation home (check out these amazing Big Sky kitchens), hire a private chef for a catered holiday party, or gather the family together in one of Big Sky’s best restaurants – the options for a memorable Christmas dinner are endless in Big Sky, MT.
Local Tip: When you’re out and about on the ski slopes on Christmas Day, you may even catch Santa shredding the Big Sky Resort ski runs.
Start your New Year’s Eve celebrations with lively slopeside aprés ski at The Exchange in Mountain Village before the New Year’s events begin at Big Sky Resort. The Huntley Lodge hosts a fabulous family-friendly New Year’s Eve buffet in the Huntley Dining Room from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM followed by live music, festivities, and fireworks in Big Sky Resort’s Mountain Village at 9 PM. New Year’s Eve party goers can ring in 2023 with Tsunami Funk bringing the house down at Montana Jack in The Exchange.
Celebrate the Holiday Season with Big Sky Vacation Rentals
Take the hassle out of the holidays and make memories this holiday season with Big Sky Vacation Rentals! With BSVR you’ll find your dream Montana home for the holidays together with exceptional guest services ranging from airport transportation and ski shipping services to grocery delivery and private chefs!
Browse our Big Sky vacation rentals to book online or give our team a call today at (888) 915-2878 to help you plan your holidays in Big Sky, MT. We live here, We Play here, We know Big Sky!